A new year, a new (to me) word! Chinampa – an ancient type of raised-bed aquatic permaculture. Apparently so productive that beds would produce 7 harvests per year! Personally, I just want to combine two of my favorite things–canoeing and agriculture. This isn’t a new trendy thing, this is an old trendy thing–once a very important part of self-sufficient lifestyles of Mezoamericans. Here are a few links to learn more!
- Apparently, chinampas were actually first developed by the Maya, but developed further by the Aztec
- Chinampas gardens and permaculture
- A lively informational video about chinampa
- This website has a section of “virtual tours”–pretty cool
- I really don’t know what’s going on with this video, but it’s calming and seems to be some kind of modern-day chinampa